Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Multigrain Bread

Actually, this is my second attempt. The first was a week before i decided to give this recipe a second try....haha....know why i failed my first loaf? It was hard as rock!!!!!!! Aiyayai!!! I suspect it's because i did not add any bread improver to the recipe. Though the bread rose well, but heck, it was like rock! There's a Chinese proverb to it "taeng sei kao" (throw dead dog....direct translation from Cantonese)..which means the bread was hard enough to kill dog when the bread is thrown to it. Haha!

Okay...my second attempt was wonderful! The aroma...the height of the bread....the softness...ooo...i just luv it. Oh my god, my bread consumption disorder is back again...u know, once you get started, you'll be addicted. I tried to make the bread interesting by adding some freshly blended pandan juice. My mom had two plants of Pandan Leaves...thus making it easy to make whatever dessert that requires Pandan. Here's the recipe....all thanks to my idol....AGNES CHANG :)

Ingredients:
  • 400g bread flour
  • 100g whole meal flour
  • 1.5 tsp of bread improver
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • 30g of butter
  • 30g of sugar (DB substituted with molasses)
  • 350ml of milk (DB used unsweetened soy milk)
  • 1 1/4 tsp of yeast
  • 100g of multigrains (DB gathered multigrains, wheat bran, instant oats to 100g)
  • 2 tsp of pandan juice (optional...not part of the recipe)
Method :
There's the conventional method illustrated by Agnes in her baking book. However, what i did was gathered all the recipes and throw them in my breadmaker's bucket. Press the button Whole Wheat...wait for 3.25hrs...and...Tadaa!!! Yummy freshly baked bread ready to be served!!!

I had mine generously spread with Golden Churn butter and peanut butter. Next slice, i had it generously spread with Garlic Spread....*heavens*...

What's your favourite way to eat your toast/bread?

2 comments:

Health Freak Mommy said...

Normally multi-grain bread is very hard. I dont put bread improver/softener. I actually dont mind it hard. I prefer to toast my bread - smells better and I love the crunchy texture too.

dumb-baker said...

Hi HFM,

Oh is it?? Haha...i didn't know...no wonder all my homemade multigrain bread turns hard very fast...

Yeap...my parents also luv eating the bread toasted...like what you said, smells better! haha

Thanks for the advice:)