Tuesday, May 6, 2008

100% Whole Wheat Bread

Oh my god....I guess i didn't buy bread that often (i always pester my mom to buy...hehe) until a few days ago, i went to our famous convenient store, 7 Eleven, to buy a loaf of Gardenia Wholemeal Bread. I remembered only paying RM2.70 the last time i bought the loaf of bread but guess what's the amount showed on the cash register?

FREAKING RM 3!! What!!!!! I didn't know the bread price has risen!

Okay....i guess i'm a little overacted...but come on la....for a frequent bread consumer like me (2 loafs per week on average basis), i will need to pay RM6 per week....which means RM24 per month...which mean RM288 per year...just for bread!

Yikes!! So people...why not start baking your own healthy bread? You can make your own bread as healthy as you want, as grainy as you want, as low fat as you want..sounds interesting? Hehe!

I found this recipe in the manual that comes with the bread machine i have at home. End result? Superb! However the bread turned tough the next day....my dear cousin advised me to include bread improver in my next bread making attempt...this way, the bread will become softer and much yummier i guess? Nevertheless, this recipe is yummy! Enjoy!

Ingredients :
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp of salt (DB omitted this)
  • 3 tbsp of light brown sugar, firmly packed (DB used molasses)
  • 1 tbsp of shortening
  • 2 tbsp of dry milk (DB used organic soy milk powder)
  • 1 1/4 tsp of yeast
  • 1 cup of Organic mixed grains (optional...not suggested in the manual)
Method:

Put all ingredients into the bread machine in accordance to the steps as suggested in the manual. Select 'Rye' setting. Sit back and relax for 2.50 hrs. Enjoy the freshly baked healthy bread

Mmmm....my slice of freshly baked hot healthy bread...

No comments: