Monday, April 7, 2008

Melt-In-Mouth Peanut Cookies



Besides chocolate chip cookies which I craved constantly, I’m also a great fan of peanut cookies….especially the melt-in-your-mouth type. So what if CNY is over? It doesn’t mean I have to wait till the next CNY before I can taste the yummy peanut cookies again.

Here I go…made these batch of melt-in-your-mouth type of peanut cookies during the weekend. I bought the peanuts raw from the market and had them rinsed (not blanched) under running tap water (just to thoroughly clean the dust on the surface of the peanuts). Instead of dry frying them in the wok over low heat, I had them baked in the oven at 160 DC until brown….this way I can save myself from 'sipping' the ‘heat’ into my body as a result of stoning in front of the hot wok of raw peanuts for hours….and I can also occupy myself with other activities whilst having the peanuts baked in the oven.
*Remember to stir the peanuts in the oven from time to time to allow uniform baking*

You can also buy ready to eat peanuts from the store and ground them finely in a food processor. But I personally think it’s best to bake from scratch cuz trust me, you’ll feel the ultimate satisfaction when you savored them;>

Dumb-Baker’s Version of Peanut Cookies

  1. 450g peanuts (skinned and powdered them in a food processor)
  2. 350g plain flour
  3. 1 ½ tsp of baking powder
  4. ½ tsp of salt
  5. 200g icing sugar
  6. 2 - 2 ½ cups of cooking oil (preferably peanut oil)

Egg glaze : Beat an egg with a tablespoon of water



Cara-cara
Preheat the oven to 180 DC. Combine powdered peanuts, flour, baking power, salt and icing sugar in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well mixed. Add in oil to the mixing bowl little by little until a dough formed (you may need less than 2 cups or more than 2 ½ cups of oil). To have uniform shape of cookies, you may want to use bottle cap or measuring teaspoon and have cling / saran wrap over, simply put an amount of dough and press into the cap or teaspoon. Lift the cling / wrap to release the shaped cookie and place the cookies on the lined baking tray. You can use the chopsticks to make an indentation in the centre of the cookies for decorations purpose. Lastly, brush the cookies with egg glaze before popping them in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Cool the baked cookies on a wire rack before storing them in an air tight container.

Note : My cookies appear a bit dull....cuz i skipped the egg glaze...bad move....but these cookies are AWESOME in your mouth!

No comments: